Volunteers make our mission possible.
Illinois Green’s committees and boards provide strategic support, educate professionals, and provide a place to build up the green building community. If you’re looking to share your expertise, make new ties, and advance our mission, join an Illinois Green committee!
Looking for ways to support communities and schools in a 1:1 relationship? Check out building mentorship opportunities.
Get notified about upcoming volunteer opportunities.
We'll send you an email when recruitment opens for our volunteer programs.
The Auxiliary Board is a diverse group of young professionals dedicated to supporting Illinois Green Alliance’s mission to promote green buildings and sustainable communities for all.
Through education & networking events and strategic collaboration, the Auxiliary Board builds crucial ties to advance our mission.
Auxiliary Board Subcommittees
Auxiliary Board members serve on one of four committees to design and implement events and campaigns.
- Assist Illinois Green Alliance in advancing their mission
- Provide opportunities for engagement with Illinois Green Alliance members, partner organizations, and the community
- Train tomorrow's leaders
- Build community and create bonds
- Attract new Auxiliary Board members and broaden the organization's reach and involvement
- Create professional development opportunities
- Encourage Auxiliary Board attendance at Illinois Green Alliance public programs and other events
Applications for the Auxiliary Board open in Fall 2022.
The Auxiliary Board is intended for Illinois Green members at the Emerging Professional level. No prior engagement with Illinois Green Alliance is necessary to apply, just a passion for advancing the green building industry.
Applications for the Auxiliary Board open in Fall 2022. Auxiliary Board members serve one-year terms and are led by the Auxiliary Board Co-chairs, who serve two-year terms.
Meetings are held monthly, with subcommittee meetings occurring more frequently depending on schedules.
The Programs Committee is a group of volunteers who lead the selection, development, and implementation of Illinois Green Alliance’s education programs.
Serving on the Programs Committee provides an opportunity to engage with leading thinkers on sustainable design and drive the conversation in Illinois’ green building community. Programs Committee members work with Illinois Green Alliance staff to determine event topics and speakers that support our mission and initiatives.
View our on-demand webinar library to see examples of education programs put on by our Programs Committee.
The Programs Committee carries out 12-16 education programs each year. These programs advance Illinois Green's mission by sharing critical green building knowledge with our community.
Applications for the Programs Committee open in Fall 2022.
Programs Committee members serve 1-year terms and have the opportunity to reapply each year.
- 1 hour monthly meeting
- Plan 2-3 Programs throughout the year
- Attend planning calls for each program
- Speaker coordination and outreach
- Program Development
- Input on the Call for Proposals document
- Review and selection of proposals submitted to the Call for Proposals
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee
The EDI Committee is made up of board members, volunteers, and staff that oversee & provide guidance on organizational EDI efforts, including the development of programming and educational offerings, initiatives, and partnerships.
- Organizational assessment and EDI metrics
- Training & education for board, staff & volunteers
- Building strategic partnerships through education programs and mentorship
Applications for the ED&I Committee open in January 2023.
ED&I Committee members serve 1-year terms and have the opportunity to reapply each year.
- 30 minute meeting twice a month
- Preparation work between meetings
- Support 2-3 events per year