The Green Schools Mentor and Sustainable Facilities Mentor programs bring green building expertise to support sustainability projects at schools and nonprofits. Volunteers in these programs complete hands-on projects and share knowledge to advance sustainability in all building types.
Looking for ways to give guidance on Illinois Green's strategic mission? Serve on a committee.
Green Schools Mentors
The Illinois Green Schools Project Mentors are volunteers from the Illinois Green Alliance that have sustainability and green building expertise, including architects, engineers, designers, builders, and more. Schools will be matched with Green Schools Mentors to help them select, plan, and implement a no- to low-cost sustainability project.
- Mentors should have a passion for creating sustainable learning environments and working with schools.
- Attend a Green Schools Mentor Orientation.
- Commit to 2-5 hours of working with your school each month. Interactions with schools take a variety of forms including phone, email, video conferencing and in-person meetings.
- Attend the celebration event in May 2022.
- Be an active member of the Illinois Green Alliance. Learn more and become a member.
Complete the Green Schools Mentor registration form when it is open during the recruitment period.
Once we receive your registration form, Illinois Green staff will follow-up with additional details and to confirm your participation. Before applying, please review the Green Schools Mentor responsibilities above.
Green Schools Mentors work 1:1 with a school in completing their sustainability project. The commitment runs from August to May of the following year, with options to reapply each cycle and continue the relationship through the summer.
Regular check-ins with your school and Illinois Green Alliance total 2-5 hours/month.
Get notified when applications open for our volunteer programs.
Sustainable Facilities Mentors
Make an impact with a local organization in your community!
The Sustainable Facilities Mentor program is for members who would like to gain skills in sustainable operations, and use that knowledge to help buildings in their community meet sustainability goals.
Volunteers either build a connection with a building in their community or are matched with a participant building in the Neighborhood Power Project to continue their sustainability journey.
Sustainable Facilities Mentors advance Illinois Green's mission of green buildings for all by bringing knowledge to communities.
The 1:1 mentor relationship provides meaningful opportunities to address sustainable operations and help community buildings find solutions that are unique to their needs.
Learn more about Illinois Green's strategic plan.
Applications for the Sustainable Facilities Mentor program open in late summer 2022.
Questions about whether this is the right fit for you? Contact Maya Coyle: email@example.com
- 8 training sessions with Illinois Green staff on sustainable operations
- These sessions are held live and have an on-demand recording option.
- Biweekly check-ins with your building
- Quarterly check-ins with Illinois Green staff
- Sustainable Facilities Mentors are encourage to make a 1-year commitment to the program, and may choose to continue mentorship at the end of the first year.