The Marten’s Community Center, located in Champaign, IL, was developed with goals to be accessible to individuals from diverse backgrounds and age groups, while staying rooted in its surrounding context. The project was designed in collaboration with members of the community as they helped inform the program spaces to promote continuing education, health and wellness. It supports the mission of the Champaign Park District, which provides facility membership and programming to residents of all ages.
Join members of the project team for a discussion to learn how engaging diverse stakeholders and community members helped to establish equity, sustainability, health, and wellness goals early in design and ensured these pillars were carried out through the design process. The team will also discuss how the team worked together to accommodate language, physical, social and emotional needs of the community through project design.
- Jameel Jones, Director of Recreation Champaign Park District
- Brian Holding, Retired from Human Kinetics. Represented Martens Foundation
- Ryan Hinz, Project Manager, RATIO
- Rebecca Andersen-Burke, Project Architect, RATIO
- Nita Christopher, Sustainability Integration Leader, RATIO
Continuing Education: LEED professionals may self report 1 CE hour for this program! We will send self reporting instructions to all attendees after the program.