2023 was a landmark year for Illinois Green Alliance and net zero buildings. In 2024, it is critical we seize the next opportunity to grow our impact!
Last year with your help, Illinois Green Alliance’s events and programs reached over 4,000 people. We redoubled our efforts to advocate for building decarbonization policy – including pitching our support of electrification to Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson. We launched Illinois Green’s biggest project yet – the Building Energy Resource Hub (“the Hub”), a one-stop-shop for information, guidance, and training on energy efficiency.
Given this momentum, it is an honor to be stepping into my role as 2024 Chair of the Board of Directors. I’m thrilled to be here at such a pivotal time – in our industry and in our world. Right now:
- Chicago is on the verge of introducing bold new policies for building decarbonization.
- More buildings than any prior year were certified net zero energy in 2023.
- Illinois Green’s membership has surpassed a 5-year peak, representing a catalyst of interest in green building knowledge and community.
Our achievements to date demonstrate it’s possible to build the sustainable future we desperately need.
Given our recent achievements, I look forward to the organization accelerating in three key areas:
- Fostering a strong, diverse network of building experts and sustainability advocates,
- Educating policymakers across the state on the importance of building decarbonization, and
- Turning the Building Energy Resource Hub into a state-of-the-art tool for implementing energy efficiency.
Now, more than ever, I ask that you get involved with Illinois Green — attend one of our more than 50 education & networking events (like my personal favorite, the Women in Green Leadership Luncheon), bring a colleague, and meet someone new. I am constantly sharing how Illinois Green is the best organization to get involved with – professionally and personally – and I know many others feel the same. Join us and see for yourself the networking, collaboration, inspiration, and positive impact that can be made.
Thank you for all you have done – and all you will continue to do – to strengthen our Illinois Green Alliance network. The work we do together is critical to support our path to a decarbonized, healthy, resilient, and equitable future for all.
I look forward to capitalizing on our momentum in 2024 and beyond – and I hope you do too.
2024 Board Chair | Illinois Green Alliance
North America Sustainable Buildings Practice Lead | JLL