Spring Communications Intern
Posted on November 9, 2021
Illinois Green Alliance is seeking a spring communications intern to support our work in the green
building and sustainable communities movement in Illinois.
Formed in 2002, Illinois Green Alliance’s mission is to foster transformative impact in our
communities through green building education and advocacy. Illinois Green is a 501(c)(3)
nonprofit organization with more than 600 members and work areas divided among education,
policy and advocacy, and community initiatives.
This internship will provide you with real-world, hands-on experience in a nonprofit organization.
We are looking for an intern interested in storytelling to create case studies, articles, and other
communications content to promote our Neighborhood Power Project and Illinois Green Schools
- Write case studies of program participants in the Neighborhood Power Project. Includes interviewing, story writing, and visual design.
- Create website profiles of projects completed by participants in the Illinois Green Schools Project.
- Work with Communications Associate on developing pitches for media relations.
- Prepare social media content to promote Illinois Green’s work with existing buildings and schools.
- Write blog content to promote Illinois Green’s work with existing buildings and schools.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of people
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Commitment to advancing sustainability and environmental justice
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience or interest in writing articles, blog posts, or similar content
- Knowledge of a graphic design software or principles preferred
- Experience or interest in learning WordPress, or other website content management system preferred
- Develop and improve the student’s employer-valued skills such as time management,
leadership, and written and oral communication.
- Gain real world experience in communications and marketing.
- Create published materials to be used in future portfolios or applications.
- Broaden network of professional contacts and expand knowledge of the green building
Remote, with potential to attend office in-person dependent on schedule. Illinois Green Alliance is located in the Merchandise Mart in downtown Chicago and uses a hybrid work schedule. All employees are required to be vaccinated to attend in-person meetings and events. Local candidates preferred.
Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
This internship is paid at $15.00 per hour. This internship is intended to be 6-10 hours per week for 10 weeks, starting in early March and ending in early May, flexible with schedules.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Maggie Olson at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Spring Communications Intern.
Applications are due by December 21 @ 11:59 p.m.
Interviews will be conducted in early January.