Barrington, IL 60010, USA ● Chicago, IL, USA Req #163
Monday, January 9, 2023
With offices in Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Ohio, Pepper Construction is a national general contracting and construction management firm that primarily serves the private sector. Pepper Construction provides clients the experience and resources of a national company, combined with the hands-on approach of a local company.
Job Title: Project Engineer I – High Performance
Reports To: Senior Project Manager
Pepper Construction Mission
Our mission is to continuously improve people’s quality of life through the built world.
The built environment represents 40% of the world’s carbon emissions, presenting our industry with an enormous opportunity for meaningful impact. Inspired by these facts, as framed in Paul Hawken’s book Drawdown, Pepper launched our environmental initiative to confront this challenge and make things better by reducing the environmental impact of our operations and the building we build. Our commitment addresses both operational carbon (which a building emits during use) and those aspects of embodied carbon which we can affect (emissions associated with materials and construction processes)
Pepper Construction is currently seeking an individual to join their High-Performance Construction Team. The High-Performance Building Project Engineer will aid in carrying out Pepper’s Building High-Performance Services during construction to improve upon our building performance goals to reduce carbon emissions in the built environment and work on projects that are leading edge in the sustainable building industry.
• Support project teams for all green rating certification standards (LEED, WELL, LBC, Green Globes)
• Site visits on projects to monitor and document implementation of certification requirements.
• Act as a resource for technical support of high-performance and sustainable resources to project teams.
• Review subcontractor’s submittals and collect documents to meet building certification requirements.
• Provide written comments and reports with excellent grammar and spelling.
• Prioritization and time management skills, including effective scheduling, managing multiple tasks in parallel and completing tasks to meet tight deadlines.
• Participate in developing carbon drawdown and high-performance building strategies for Pepper
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Knowledge of and experience with building certifications such as LEED, Green Globes, WELL Building Standard, Living Building Challenge, etc.
• Intermediate experience level of Excel and working knowledge of Word and PowerPoint.
• Understand the phases of architectural design and construction process.
• Able to navigate construction drawings, specifications, and certification reference guides.
• Willingness to become a LEED AP within the first three (3) months of hire required.
• Knowledge of local energy code requirements and ASHRAE Standards
• Demonstrate subject matter knowledge and experience on energy performance, embodied carbon, health and wellness, water efficiency, indoor environmental quality, materials selection, zero waste, policies and programs, and overall sustainability in the built environment.
• LEED GA and/or AP Accreditation, OR Living Future Accredited, OR WELL AP
• Experience with Revit, AutoCAD, energy modeling, and life cycle analysis software.
• OSHA 30 Hour
CULTURE AND OPERATIONS:
• Ownership of the mission of Pepper.
• Participate in sustainability community organizations/events and committees to build personal knowledge and professional growth.
• Holds value for holistic, sustainable construction and living
• Intellectually curious – a quick learner with a knack for innovation and problem-solving.
• Bias for action; strong initiative and solutions-oriented working style.
Pepper Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
Please note: Pepper does not sponsor work visas.