Founded in 2006, Baumann Consulting provides energy efficiency and sustainability consulting services for the entire lifecycle of buildings. As a transatlantic organization, we have offices in Washington D.C., Chicago, IL, and Frankfurt, Germany. Our team works on innovative and high-performance projects for local and global clients, while using cutting-edge technology to deliver world-class services.
Baumann Consulting is looking for a Building Energy Performance Engineer for our office in Chicago, IL, or Washington, D.C.
Job Description and Key Responsibilities
- Prepare building simulations, including shoebox and detailed building energy models, daylight analyses, dynamic thermal simulation, 2-D heat flow calculations, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations, and data analytics platforms in support of:
- Building envelope and MEP systems evaluation for new building projects with specific building performance and construction budget goals;
- Energy concept development for campus-scale development and real estate portfolio projects with specific environmental and economic goals;
- Building permit applications and third-party sustainability certification submissions (e.g. LEED, Green Globes, Energy Star, Living Building Challenge) requiring energy model and associated documentation;
- Thermal studies to assess indoor operating conditions for occupant health, safety, and comfort, and the durability of stored goods or operated equipment;
- Indoor lighting and daylighting studies to assess visual comfort and use of natural daylight to reduce artificial lighting usage;
- Energy audit services requiring performance impact estimates of proposed energy efficiency measures in existing buildings using spreadsheet calculations and software tools;
- Monitoring-based commissioning services requiring data visualization to spot faulty operations in HVAC operational trends;
- Use building simulation software tools, including but not limited to DesignBuilder, EnergyPlus, EQuest, IES-VE, and RETScreen.
- Identify and request information needed to complete assigned tasks.
- Identify, present and discuss performance improvement options in project team meetings with architects, engineers, building owners, operators, and developers.
Participate in and present simulation results with the project team.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or Master of Science (M.S.) in Mechanical, Electrical, Architectural Engineering, or Architecture (previous building simulation coursework preferred);
- Minimum of 2 years of energy efficiency or related mechanical engineering experience (previous building simulation, energy auditing, or commissioning experience preferred);
- BEMP certification is highly preferred, LEED AP, PE, or RA is a plus;
- Solid knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems and principles; including HVAC, lighting, motors, thermodynamics, fluids, and heat transfer;
- Hands-on experience with mechanical, electrical, and control systems;
- Familiarity with relevant building codes, standards, and regulations (e.g. IECC, IMC, ASHRAE 90.1/62.1/55, LEED);
- Thorough and accurate work style with attention to detail while keeping an eye on the big picture;
- Strong writing, interpersonal, training, and analytical skills;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs (including Excel and Word);
- Proclivity and willingness to learn new software tools as required;
Applicant must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Baumann Consulting is an equal opportunity employer with a great work atmosphere and excellent benefits including:
- Flexible work time and home office
- 8 paid holidays plus 4 weeks of paid Vacation and Sick Leave, increased to 5 weeks after 2 years
- Creative/research time budget
- Continuous professional development support and allowance
- Company-paid Health Insurance (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Company-paid ST/LT Disability Insurance
- 401(k) Plan with up to 4% Employer contributions
- Company-paid Commuter Benefits
- Flexible Spending Account
If you feel that you are qualified and motivated for this position, please apply by sending your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.