Greenbuild is Coming to Chicago in 2018! The Greenbuild International Conference and Expo, which was launched in 2002, is the world’s largest conference and expo dedicated to green building. Greenbuild features several days of inspiring speakers, industry showcases, specialty workshops, tours of the host city’s green buildings and invaluable networking opportunities. On November 14 – 16, 2018, Greenbuild is coming back to Chicago for the third time!
Greenbuild is expected to bring over 20,000 visitors and 32 million dollars in business to the Chicago area. This is a tremendous opportunity for us to showcase local projects and expertise while bringing attention to issues of particular importance to our region. While Greenbuild is a meeting of national and international experts in the field during one week in November 2018, our goal is to leverage the event to engage the broader local community in discussions and activities that raise awareness around sustainability and the built environment throughout the year leading up to the event.
Illinois Green Alliance Role:
The Greenbuild team at Informa Exhibitions and USGBC (national) is responsible for overall conference planning and management, including running the process by which sessions are chosen, soliciting sponsors, managing registration, and conference greening. The official duties for the Illinois Green Alliance include:
- Forming an Honorary Host Committee for the City of Chicago
- Forming a working Host Committee, which includes a minimum of six subcommittees
- Recruiting and working with official Local Partner Organizations (roughly 20 -30) on conference promotion
- Producing roughly 35 half and full day regional green building tours
- Identifying and coordinating a Greenbuild Legacy Project – a permanent gift of service to the city that targets low-income populations, is community supported and has an educational component.
- Working with local hotels and restaurants on greening their operations and promoting their offerings
- Recruiting and coordinating 700 – 800 student and young professional volunteers (under 25 years old)
Outside of these official capacities, hosting Greenbuild is an opportunity for us to show-off Chicago and our region as a global model of a sustainable and culturally vibrant community.
Greenbuild Committee Descriptions:
Read more about each Greenbuild Committee description below. If you have not submitted an application to volunteer on one of these committees, we will have a big event in January 2018 to invite all those that would like to get involved.
Meet the 2018 Greenbuild Host Committee!
|Host Committee Co-Chair||Sandra Henry||Seventhwave|
|Host Committee Co-Chair||Susan Pearson||Merritt Connect, Inc.|
|Legacy Project Co-Chair||Joseph Clair||dbHMS|
|Legacy Project Co-Chair||Juanita Garcia||BIM for Better|
|Green Building Tours Co-Chair||Keara Fanning||JLL|
|Green Building Tours Co-Chair||Jason Meyering||DLR Group|
|Ambassadors Co-Chair||Barbara Hickey||The John Buck Company|
|Ambassadors Co-Chair||George Tuhowski III||Leopardo Companies|
|Ambassadors Co-Chair||Vuk Vujovic||Legat Architects|
|Greening Co-Chair||Pat Bartholomew||Green Seal|
|Greening Co-Chair||Jason Franken||Goby Inc.|
|Volunteers Co-Chair||Jodi Feldheim||HDR|
|Volunteers Co-Chair||Andy Stein||Northwestern University|
|Local Partners Co-Chair||Helen Kessler||HJKessler Associates|
|Local Partners Co-Chair||Joanne Rodriguez||GreenStructure|
|Momentum Co-Chair||Ga-Young Park||Cyclone Energy Group|
|Momentum Co-Chair||Meg Six||Goby Inc.|