Deadline extended until Friday, March 23, 2018
The Illinois Green Alliance (formally USGBC-Illinois) is proud to announce submissions are now open for our 13th annual awards program. The Emerald Awards recognize outstanding individuals, organizations, corporations, projects, and technologies implemented across Illinois which advance both buildings and communities to become more sustainable, prosperous and healthy. Award winners will be announced on April 9th and presented at Illinois Green’s annual fundraising event, Limelight, on May 15, 2018, at the Venue SIX10 in Chicago.
Emerald Awardees can include, but are not limited to, architects, engineers, contractors, developers, design teams, schools, governmental, non-profit organizations, and beyond.
The Emerald Award recognizes individuals, organizations, design teams, technologies or projects that demonstrate exemplary commitment and achievements in transforming the built environment by engaging, educating and empowering our Illinois Green building community. Four awards will be given.
Potential Awardees may include projects, individuals, businesses and professional firms who promote sustainability in one or more of the following areas:
- Utilized new technologies and/or innovations in energy efficiency (Carbon Drawdown Strategies)
- Engaged tenants to implement a retrofit
- Proposed an innovative solution to a green building challenge
- Committed to building sustainably and incorporating leading-edge of approaches to reducing the built environment’s negative environmental impacts and decreases risks associated with a changing climate (e.g. decreasing air quality, increasing temperatures, increasing extreme precipitation).
- Built an exceptional sustainable building(s) or remodeled an existing facility to outstanding sustainable standards
- Made a significant influence over the sustainable building/community movement in Illinois
Created strategic relationships or collaborations within the sustainable building community to help transform the industry
- Made a significant reduction in carbon emissions, waste, toxic chemicals, or other negative environmental Contributed in a positive way to improving the environment (e.g. introduced regenerative processes in building design/operations, offered employee volunteer days, participated in ecosystem restorations, etc.)
Award Evaluation Criteria
A panel of evaluators, made up of members of Illinois Green’s Advisory Board and past Board of Director Chairs, will evaluate the nominations based on how well the nominations meet the following criteria:
- Has a Positive Impact – The project must have a meaningful and demonstrable impact in Chicago Communities by helping protect the environment or enhance the quality of life for residents.
- Innovation/Creativity – Does the project should reflect a new concept, technology or practice in the industry.
- Overcomes Challenges – What were the challenges and how were they overcome.
- Is Transferable – The initiative can be replicated by others in Illinois to make their communities carbon neutral and a healthier, greener place to work, live and play.
- Demonstrates Initiative – The project should reflect how the individual or group took action to move sustainability forward in their community.
Please submit all nominations no later than noon on March 23, 2018. Winners will be recognized at Limelight on May 15, 2018. You can find the nomination form here.
Applications open Friday, February 23, 2018
Applications due Friday March 23rd!
Emerald Award Recipients Announced week of Monday, April 9, 2018
Emerald Awards Presented at Limelight, Tuesday, May 15, 2018
Questions? Contact Joan Martin