Help a school along their sustainability journey by becoming a mentor for the Illinois Green Schools Project! This year, Illinois Green Alliance green building professionals will virtually mentor participating schools through the Illinois Green Schools Project during spring 2021. Green Schools Mentors will share their knowledge and provide guidance to the schools they are matched with to identify, plan, and implement a no- to low-cost sustainability project that can be completed in the school building or at home.
Learn more about the Green Schools Mentor responsibilities and key things to know about the Illinois Green Schools Project below. Registration to become a Green Schools Mentor for our spring 2021 cohort is currently closed, but please check back for updated opportunities.
Questions about becoming a Green Schools Mentor? Contact Liz Wimmer at email@example.com
What are the Green Schools Mentor Responsibilities?
- Mentors should have a passion for creating sustainable learning environments and working with schools.
- Complete the Green Schools Mentor registration (Registration is currently closed).
- Attend a Green Schools Mentor Orientation on Tuesday, December 8 at 5 PM OR Thursday, December 10 at 12 PM.
- Commit to 2-5 hours of virtually working with your school each month. To abide by local health measures, Green Schools Mentors will largely communicate with schools by phone, email, and video conferencing this school year beginning January 2021 and concluding mid-April 2021. This will be re-assessed if guidelines change.
- Participate in Green Schools Mentor check-ins.
- Provide guidance on project selection, planning, and execution.
- Provide sustainability expertise and guidance to your assigned school.
- Assist with documentation and preparation of final submission.
- Attend the celebration event in April 2021.
- Be an active member of the Illinois Green Alliance. Learn more and become a member.
How do I become a Green Schools Mentor?
Complete the Green Schools Mentor registration form (registration is currently closed). Once we receive your registration form, Illinois Green staff will follow-up with additional details and to confirm your participation. Before applying, please review the Green Schools Mentor responsibilities above.
What are the key dates for the Illinois Green Schools Project?
- Green Schools Webinar Series Fall 2020: October 7 – November 18 on Wednesday afternoons from 3:30 – 4:30 PM (optional for mentors to attend if interested – view recordings)
- Registration Deadline for Green Schools Mentors: November 30, 2020
- Green Schools Mentor Orientation: Tuesday, December 8 at 5 PM OR Thursday, December 10 at 12 PM.
- Mentors are Matched with Schools & Provide Project Support: January – April 2021
- Project Submission: April 12, 2021 (More Details Coming Soon!)
- Celebration Event: April 28, 2021 (More Details Coming Soon!)
Who will I be working with during the Illinois Green Schools Project?
As a Green Schools Mentor, you will be matched with a K-12 school in Illinois to devise and implement a no- to low-cost sustainability project for their school. This year, mentors will be working virtually with schools and Illinois Green will share project ideas and resources for projects that can take place in the school building or at home.
Student involvement is essential in the Illinois Green Schools Project and should include a class or club of students. Additionally, each Green Team is required to have one faculty, staff, or parent from the school serve as Green Team Sponsor. The Green Schools Mentor will work together with the Green Team Sponsor and Green Team to develop and implement the school’s selected project and submit final results to Illinois Green Alliance.
The Green Team can include and get support from other Green Schools Champions like school administration, teachers, school nurses, facility managers, custodians, food services, educational support staff, student organizations, parents, parent-teacher organizations, and community organizations engaged in the school.