Help a school along their sustainability journey by becoming a mentor for the Illinois Green Schools Project! Illinois Green Alliance green building and sustainability professionals mentor participating schools through the Illinois Green Schools Project during an entire school year. Green Schools Mentors share their knowledge and provide guidance to the schools they are matched with to identify, plan, and implement a no- to low-cost sustainability project that can be completed in the school building. Mentor registration for the 2021-22 school year is currently closed, but please check back for updated opportunities!
Learn more about the Green Schools Mentor responsibilities and key things to know about the Illinois Green Schools Project below.
Sign up for our newsletter and select the “Green Schools” list to receive updates about the Project and mentorship openings.
What are the Green Schools Mentor Responsibilities?
- Mentors should have a passion for creating sustainable learning environments and working with schools.
- Complete the Green Schools Mentor registration (Registration for the 2021-22 school year is currently closed).
- Attend a Green Schools Mentor Orientation.
- Commit to 2-5 hours of working with your school each month. Green Schools Mentors interact and communicate with schools by phone, email, video conferencing, and in-person meetings (as health and safety guidelines allow).
- Participate in Illinois Green Schools Project meet-ups and activities.
- Provide guidance on project selection, planning, and execution.
- Provide sustainability expertise and guidance to your assigned school.
- Assist with documentation and preparation of final submission.
- Attend the celebration event in April 2022.
- Be an active member of the Illinois Green Alliance. Learn more and become a member.
How do I become a Green Schools Mentor?
Complete the Green Schools Mentor registration form (Registration is currently closed). Once we receive your registration form, Illinois Green staff will follow-up with additional details and to confirm your participation. Before applying, please review the Green Schools Mentor responsibilities above.
What are the key dates for the Illinois Green Schools Project?
- Registration for Green Schools Mentors: Registration is currently closed for the 2021-22 school year
- Green Schools Mentor Orientation: Attend a virtual orientation on Wednesday, September 29 at 5 PM OR Thursday, September 30 at 12 PM
- Illinois Green Schools Project Kick-off: Attend the virtual kick-off on Tuesday, October 5 at 4 PM
- Mentors are Matched with Schools & Provide Project Support: September – April 2022
- Illinois Green Schools Project Meet-ups: More Details Coming Soon!
- Project Submission: More Details Coming Soon!
- Celebration Event: More Details Coming Soon!
Who will I be working with during the Illinois Green Schools Project?
As a Green Schools Mentor, you will be matched with a K-12 school in Illinois to devise and implement a no- to low-cost sustainability project for their school. Mentors provide guidance and expertise as they work together with their school to implement their sustainability project.
Student involvement is essential in the Illinois Green Schools Project and should include a class or club of students. Additionally, each school ‘Green Team’ is required to have one faculty, staff, or parent from the school serve as Green Team Sponsor. The Green Schools Mentor will work together with the Green Team Sponsor and Green Team to develop and implement the school’s selected project and submit final results to Illinois Green Alliance.
The Green Team can include and get support from other Green Schools Champions like school administration, teachers, school nurses, facility managers, custodians, food services, educational support staff, student organizations, parents, parent-teacher organizations, and community organizations engaged in the school.
Questions about becoming a Green Schools Mentor? Contact Liz Wimmer at email@example.com